Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:07:11 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNU components of BSD

On Fri 2000-02-04 (21:31), Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> I just realized something....
> If the FreeBSD distro includes GNU components, how can someone
> repackage and resell FreeBSD like the BSD license allows?  I'm talking
> of course about the more liberal distribution allowed by BSD, such as
> binary only, or after modifications where source is not distributed.

The licenses on those components which require the distribution of
source on request should you ever distribute binaries, apply only
to those components.

Just because 'gcc' is under GPL, doesn't mean that 'sendmail' is
under GPL, simply because they're distributed on the same medium.

The 'viral' nature (if you want to call it that, I'm not trying to
pick fights) occurs when compiling code with GPL bits, or linking
to GPL bits.

Basically, you can repackage and resell a FreeBSD-based product,
and change all the code, but will need to distribute the source to
the components under GPL.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner