Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:51:19 -0400
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Gregory Pavelcak <gp@wilde.oit.umass.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sorry Windows Question but Important

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 08:44:47PM -0400, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Gregory Pavelcak wrote:
> > Hello all, A friend of mine has been working hard on a paper. She put it on a floppy and now can't open it. Here are some symptoms:
>
> Which version of Word was the save and which version are you using to open it?
>
> > 	-The file is a Word doc but does not show up that way when listed in Windows98. I could swear I saw `arch' somewhere, but I don't remember where.
>
> What do you mean when listed in Windows98 and what is arch?

Oops. Sorry, I meant opening the floppy window under My Computer. Arch
was under the file type somewhere (for archive?), but it's definitely a
Word doc.

> > 	-I can mount the floppy with -t msdos, but when I try to cp, cat, or even get the properties of the file with file, my laptop reboots with `isa_dma check no physical page present'.
>
> I would advise against this, as mounting and not using "ro" (read-only) may
> cause further troublem with the file.  Do you have an untouched backup on
> the HD?

She has no other copy of the file. The only thing I could get to work
was to dd the whole floppy to my hard drive. I have no idea if that
helps us at all though.
though.

> > 	-If you try to open it with Word, a Word window opens and flashes at you. Eventually, an error window opens saying `The document name or path is not valid'. It suggests using the file open dialog to locate the doc and checking the file's and disk's permissions. (Other Word docs on the floppy will open byt the way.) If I try to follow the advice, I get `Explorer performed an illegal operation and will be shut down'.
>
> Restart the PC.  Try opening the document on a different Window$ PC.
>
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The poor woman is frantic. It's time to reach out in a spirit of good will to a poor Windows user and forgive me for the off-topic post.
> > Thanks.
> > Greg
>
> I'm sure we can forgive you.  Best of luck with this situation,

Thanks. Thanks for the input.

Greg