Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2012 01:28:09 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

> I might just be also interested to review/comment code, discuss
> regressions, and architecture, for a change ;-)
> Unfortunately, such threads rarely ever happen. Most of the time, the
> only food provided is a really indigestible +5000/-3000 patch, where
> all the thinking, architectural design and code has been done behind
> closed door of a limited few committers, research lab or company.

That's odd.  What the src committers usually tell me, when I have my
bugmeister-advocate hat on, is that they post patches and then no one
comments until after they check them in, at which time they complain.
This discourages them from going through this the next time.

You will also note that some of the large commits say "MFp4" or "MF:
<projectname>".  That means that either our Perforce repository, or
SVN project/ directory, were used as staging areas.  It's possible to
subscribe to these email messages.  (Exactly how is left as an exercise
for the reader; the hour is getting late.)

As for the research lab/company commits, I'm sure you'd complain equally
if the code that these groups develop in-house and then release when it's
in some kind of stable state, instead didn't get released at all.

But, of course, I'm wasting my time trying to give you reasoned arguments
about why FreeBSD does one thing or another.  AFAICT you're only interested
in spreading FUD about what we do, how we do it, and what we say about it
before, during, and afterwards.  You seem to be obsessed by picking over
semantics and finding shortcomings to be aggreived over.

Whatever patches or review you've contributed to date, to my mind, are
like the last tiny little bits of onion that are left over after one peels
off all the outer layers.  There may be something to it, but the effort
to get down to that point is so painful that it's not worth it.

tl;dr: your drama outweighs your contributions.

mcl