Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 17:48:53 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        flexus!RfSchtkt@colds.ruca.ua.ac.be
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After installing FreeBSD 2.1, my computer won't boot

> Question (for me):
> How can I boot FreeBSD from NT's NTLDR (what to put in BOOT.INI)? Should I
> instead try Linux's multi-OS boot mechanism (I'm going to try that OS anyway)?

This has recently been added to the FAQ - follow the documentation link
from http://www.freebsd.org/ and you should find it.

> Question (for context, not really important):
> Where could I find a full description of the (E)IDE/FDISK issues that led to my
> problem (Greg Lehey's book for Walnut Creek is more like need-to-know, with
> provisions only for some problem situations)? And of the startup sequence for a
> PC?

There's a bit in the FAQ and the Handbook, but again it's probably not
quite what you're looking for.  Maybe a good book on PC hardware? (I
think the Bibliography in the Handbook has one or two recommendations).

> Question (for FreeBSD):
> Is it safe to install FreeBSD and leave the boot record alone (*will* it be
> left alone, how will FreeBSD got booted)? Was this a unique problem for me
> (specifying booteasy messing up the entire boot), or should this be pursued
> further (whom to contact)?

If you leave the boot record alone, whatever was there before should still
be there afterwards.

> *** The year 2000 will be the last year of the 20th century. ***

And it will also be a leap year (divisible by 400), which is the subject of
another common misconception.