Date:      Sun, 07 Mar 1999 20:17:53 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, tim@scratch.demon.co.uk, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum (how to use after creation)

At 08:00 PM 3/7/99 , Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Sunday,  7 March 1999 at 10:29:50 -0800, Ludwig Pummer wrote:
>> At 04:54 AM 3/7/99 , tim@scratch.demon.co.uk wrote:
>>> I have managed to create some vinum drives as follows
>> It appears your subdisks are all from the same physical drive. Why would
>> you do this? Why not just use one usr.p0.s0 with size of 4076?
>
>I don't see this.  There's nothing in this list that shows the
>location of the subdisks, and I assumed he was using a lot of
>different relatively small disks to get a large volume.  If they *are*
>all on the same disk, of course, it doesn't make sense, and if the
>plex were striped, it could cause a terrible loss of performance.

Tim took this onto -chat. I thought he appeared to be using one disk
because the POs and subdisk sizes perfectly matched...
Tim explained that he was experimenting with vinum and ended up with all of
these small subdisks on one drive.

>> newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /dev/vinum/usrvol
>
>You'll probably want a -v flag here, or it will complain.  Also, it
>should be the raw device:
>
>  # newfs -v /dev/vinum/rusrvol

Right. I always forgot the -v, and then newfs "reminded" me.

>Without knowing what he wants to use it for, you can't recommend the
>8192 byte blocks.

8192 byte blocks & 1024 byte frags are the default (at least, according to
sysinstall, when you choose 'newfs options' from the partition editor). If
he knew which block size would be best for him, he probably wouldn't even
be asking how to newfs something.

>Well, I thought this (from vinum(4)) would have been adequate:

Not for a newbie, or semi-newbie. On the other hand, you can't be expected
to make a newfs walk-through in the vinum manpage.
This is probably just one of those hoops that one goes through in the
process of losing 'newbie' status.
--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441