Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 23:30:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Martini <martini@invision.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA

I've read the documentation, and I'm far from being a newbie (having been at
this since 2.2.5) and I still think the terminology used is confusing.

If I'm an admin who wants a solid, tested, dare I say stable, operating
system to run in my production enviornment I would want to grab a codebase
called "STABLE."

If I'm a developer, or just having fun with FreeBSD and I WANT to live on
the bleeding edge then I would grab a codebase named "CURRENT."

But as Andrew as pointed out this is NOT the was FreeBSD works at all.

The -STABLE code is updated every day and is anything but "stable" and the
- -RELEASE branch doesn't change.  To my mind this is all backwards.

It's not really all that bad once you get used to it (I got used to the X11
people calling the workstation side the server and the big multiuser box
you connect to the client), but it is far from intuitive.

And while I agree that often times newbies don't RTFM, it is our duty to
help them understand our quirks of terminology and not come down too hard on
them for being newbies.

In case you hadn't noticed the Linux crowd is propogating an inferior
product at a faster pace then FreeBSD because it is easier/friendlier to the
newbie! (ditto x2 for M$).

Matt

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Andrew Hesford wrote:

> No... 4.2-RELEASE begat 4.2-STABLE. Until a few weeks ago, we were all
> running 4.2-STABLE. Now we run 4.3-BETA. Then comes 4.3-RC, and then
> 4.3-RELEASE. It is after this that 4.3-STABLE comes about.
>
> You won't see 4.4-STABLE until 4.4 has been released.

 Matthew E. Martini, PE        InVision.com, Inc.   (631) 543-1000 x104
 Chief Technology Officer      matt@invision.net    (631) 864-8896 Fax