Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:11:18 -0700
From:      "Danny Yoo" <danny@vkpc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Illegal cable configuration?? (SCSI, new install of FreeBSD)

I'm trying to set up FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE on an old IBM PC Server 330
(Pentium Pro 200). It's got an on-board Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller, and
I've only got two SCSI devices inside: a Quantum HD and an IBM CD-ROM.

My problem is that when the system boots up with mfsroot.flp (boot disk #2)
AFTER the kernel configuration, I get a message akin to:

ahc0: Illegal cable configuration!! Only two connectors on the adapter may
be used at a time!

And then a few lines later it hangs at: "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices
to settle"

Now, the system is currently running Corel Linux just fine; I can access the
HD and CD-ROM without a hitch. I'm _pretty_ sure that the SCSI connections
are properly terminated (this is my first time using a SCSI system)... I say
that solely based on the fact that Corel works just fine. I'd assume that an
ill-configured SCSI system would create noticeable problems right away?

I'm not sure what the system means by: "Only two connectors on the adapter
may be used at a time!" The external connector isn't used and the external
termination jumper is set (I've tried it in both positions); only the
internal connector cable is used which connects first to the HD then to the
CD-ROM. I've tried reversing the order, I've tried disconnecting the CD-ROM
from the system to no avail.

I've looked through the BIOS for "auto-termination/hardware-termination"
options (suggested in an archive posting) but my system apparently does not
have such a feature.

I'm sorry if the specifications of my problem is too vague; I'll gladly try
to offer more information if it is needed. I have spent about 1.5 hours
searching google and the digest archives; one other person had the EXACT
same problem as I did, but the only person to respond to him told him that
he should post to this list (I guess he was posting somewhere else).

Much thanks in advance,

Danny Yoo