Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:22:37 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mark Tempel <mtempel@visi.com>
Cc:        Lyndon Griffin <lgriffin@bsd4us.org>, freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Timeline for development

Mark Tempel wrote:

> > Does this look right for a timeline for development?  Am I missing
> > anything?  Am I overstating anything?  Is anything out of order?
> >
> > Timeline milestones:
> >   bootstrap
> > boot loader
> > console kernel
> > single user
> > "full" kernel
> > userland
> > multiuser
> > merge into current
> > release and enter release cycles
> >
> I think this looks reasonable for a (very) high level milestone list.
> I do think that this project will take a long time to complete, and
> I hope that we can be ready to roll our work into the FBSD 5.0
> release :-).

Keep in mind that building the FreeBSD userland can happen using NetBSD
as a base in parallel with much of the kernel development.  Though the
kernel is the "hard" part, there is a LOT of userland, and I heartily
recommend turning loose those who are interested in that part of the
port ASAP.  Having a CVS repo or something like that for them to drop
stuff in as it is complete, or at least complete enough, will allow them
to contribute almost immediately.

> I also wanted to add  (just for the hardware list on the web page)
> that I have a SS5 and a SS10 dedicated to this effort.  When
> my 10/100 switch shows up I will put one of these on the net
> for the abuse of anyone who wants to help.

An SS10, huh.  Spoiled.  ;^)

> Another note:  I have been trying to build a cross-compiler
> that groks the architecture sparc-unknown-freebsd.  I

Oh please, just go with sparc-sun-freebsd.  ;^)

> have been having quiet alot of trouble building the header files
> to config gcc.  I have been trying to understand how all the
> config (/usr/src/contrib/gcc/config) files work by comparing how
> the i386 NetBSD file compares with the i386 FreeBSD file, and
> how the alpha FreeBSD file compares to the i386 FreeBSD file.
> I am hoping to glean enough information to be able to transform
> the NetBSD sparc file (.../gcc/config/sparc/netbsd.h) into a file
> that will tell gcc how to build an elf executable for a sparc
> architecture.  I haven't been able to find very much information on
> the net to aid in this process, and this is my first crack at doing
> something like this with gcc.  I was wondering if anyone had any
> pointers, web sites, books...etc that would help me along.

No, but I can tell you your best bet is to pick a home for the cross tools
and dump the entire set of FreeBSD include files in that home somewhere.
When we start getting down to it, we can create the sparc specific include
files, comparing the alpha and i386 ones as a starting point.  It might be
a good idea to start thinking about sparc vs. sparc64 early on as well.