Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2013 06:36:59 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To SMP or not to SMP

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

On 2013-Jan-07 18:25:58 -0800, Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com> wr=
ote:
>I have a situation where I have to run 9.1 on an old single core
>box. Does anyone have a handle on whether it's better to build a non
>SMP kernel or to just use a standard SMP build with just the one
>core?

Another input for this decision is kern/173322.  Currently on x86,
atomic operations within kernel modules are implemented using calls
to code in the kernel, which do or don't use lock prefixes depending
on whethur the kernel was built as SMP.  My proposed change changes
kernel modules to inline atomic operations but always include lock
prefixes (effectively reverting r49999).  I'm appreciate anyone who
feels like testing the impact of this change.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g--