Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 21:10:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Steve Roome <steve@snuggly.demon.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YMF719 - configuration hell!

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > > that one is so old and unmaintained, it does not know of any new card.
> >
> > But with pcm not working for quake etc. something needs to be sorted out
> > with the sound. (Although I realise that this requires someone, probably
> > you, to spend time on it, and that not everyone has 50 hour days and wants
> > to spend all their time working on FreeBSD!)
>
> right... this story is about two years old and nobody has come out with
> code. An evident case of lack of motivation :)

paid work : dull but pays good money.
free work : interesting, no money.

Makes it a tricky choice when the electricity bills arrive, although I
know which I'd prefer to be doing, I don't think it's just the motivation,
it's a matter of having enough time to do it. If work's paid by the hour
it costs money to do this.

If more documentation was available it would be easier to get involved as
well, this applies to everyone from the driver writers to the chipset
manufacturors. (I never thought I'd be saying that about anything, but
it's true, you can't expect people to just jump into the driver and know
how to make the changes needed to get it to work for card xyz)

Is there more documentation, and details of what needs work soonest for
pcm, and who's making the changes ?

	Steve