Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:55:57 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Storing small files in inodes

On 1999-Oct-28 19:33:22 +1000, Julian Elischer wrote:
>we'd have the code to read it turned on by default for 6 months before we
>turned on the default to write them.

This is fairly messy.  I see them implemented as a new FS format.  In
which case the schedule would be:
- update fsck(8), fsdb(8), dump(8), libstand/ufs.c and the kernel to
  know how to handle the new FS format.  fsck should also gain the
  ability to convert FS_44INODEFMT to the new format and dumpfs(8)
  to report the new format.
- update newfs(8) to be able to create an FS in the new format (ie a
  different constant in fs_inodefmt), but still default to FS_44INODEFMT
- remind everyone to update their bootblocks before converting their
  root FS
- wait a few releases (6-12 months)
- update newfs(8) to default to the new FS format.

You would still need to manually convert existing filesystems - either
by dump/newfs/restore or 'fsck -c 4'.

>I vaguely remember a paper on the topic.
I was sure I wasn't the first one to think of this.

>Maybe kirk can tell us more.
I was hoping that some of the FS gurus would comment.  They would
have a much better feeling for the complexity of the changes - I have
a nasty suspicion that the code to handle a file growing from 60
to 61 bytes (or vice versa) and mmap'ing a short file would be
non-trivial.

Peter