Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2019 07:03:28 -0700
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Omg upgrade wants to install MySQL

On 02 Nov 2019, at 20:29, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:
> 03.11.2019 9:20, @lbutlr wrote:
>=20
>> On 02 Nov 2019, at 19:35, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:
>>> I prefer third option. Sometimes it is handy to "pkg lock" packages =
you installed from ports buiklt with non-default options, too.
>>=20
>> If I could tell which pkg install is going to install MySQL and libX =
stuff I would lock those, but I Dion=E2=80=99t see anyway to check that.
>=20
> You need to lock MariaDB.

MariaDB *is* locked. Both client and server. Pkg update was still going =
to install MySQL.

>> And it does seem odd that pkg is still assuming MySQL and desktop =
FreeBSD.
>> I know of many 120 FreeBSD servers and not one has a GUI desktop.
>> I mean, I am sure they exist, but they must be a pretty tiny sliver.
>=20
> First, it is NOT pkg assuming anything. Package repository has =
packages built from ports with their *default* options
> and pkg merely uses them.

Fine. Ports assuming MySQL.

> Second, support of X headers/formats/libraries does not assume =
"desktop" FreeBSD
> and does not install any graphical environment but generally only some =
small headers or libs,
> not even libX11 not to mention heavy window managers or desktop =
environment.

A whole lot of X11 cruft gets installed if you do not go through and =
disable X11. A LOT. So there is some assumption in the defaults that =
there will be a desktop environment, yes.