Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:06:30 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Bennett Hui" <bhui@mail.com>
Cc:        "Mike Galvez" <mrg8n@mail.virginia.edu>, "Bennett Hui" <bennett@hqinvestment.com>, smujohnson@home.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APM or /etc/hosts

I believe that /boot/kernel.conf is normally created when you use the
configuration screen that comes up when you boot off of the
installation media. I can easily build an installation medium that
skips this (not recommended) and does not create the file. But
selecting the option that reads something like "I know what I'm doing,
so let's just get on with it" also skips it. I suspect that this is
the reason you lack it.

That said, you can always create the file and add:
en apm
into it. (Not sure what happens when you leave off the trailing 'q'.)

The other easy fix is to delete the word "disable" from the "device
apm0" line in the configuration file. This keyword causes the device
to be built into the kernel, but it is not enabled at boot time. The
kernel.conf overrides this.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)