Date:      Sun, 06 Feb 2000 21:37:10 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Choice of display cards under freebsd.

On Friday, 4th February 2000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

>I was just going to ask a question on a similar issue.  I was reading
>about new graphics cards with Linux-only drivers.  I've also heard BSD
>is somewhat less game-friendly than Linux, primarily due to the
>scheduler.

You'd have to give some details.  I don't know any reason why the Linux
scheduler would be better for games than the FreeBSD one.

>Would it make sense to have a "set GAMES" option or
>command, that temporarily alters scheduling and allows direct access
>to video hardware as necessary? (real mode vs protected)

The scheduler already has some realtime facilities, and there are ways
to get direct access to hardware.  What's really needed is a proper
OpenGL interface within X11 and that's coming soon.  When XFree86 4.0
is released, gaming under FreeBSD and Linux will be much simpler
and might just take off.

Stephen.