Date:      Tue, 07 Feb 1995 15:23:54 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, mark@grunt.grondar.za
Subject:   Re: SLIP (ping time over 14400)

> What are the usual turn around times when pinging a host over a 14400
> SLIP link resp. what ftp rates can one expect?
>
> I have a link running and it shows 200 ms. The ftp rate is significantly
> below 1KB/s.
>
> Would ppp give me better results?

I use a KA9Q 286/16 as a dedicated router on a leased line. If I am
moving data to/from my service provider (actually my work) I frequently
see transfer rates of 1.4K on compressed data and up to +- 3.5 k on
highly compressible stuff.

BTW I am using PPP and 14400 modems with v42/v42bis enabled.
Close pings are usually just over 300ms (like 310-340).

PPP is the better thought out protocol. Strictly speaking it is ever
so slightly _slower_ due to some protocol overheads, but one can improve
this by employing VJ header compression. Most PPP routers and software can
handle this.

Good luck

--
Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa