Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:58:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        past@netmode.ntua.gr, Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, Ian Jenkinson <ian.jenkinson@blueyonder.co.uk>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads in Java on a variety of platforms

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 09:42:31AM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> [ FreeBSD uses internal green-threads, while most other OS's use native
> threads ]
>
> > This is something that has been bugging me for a while: would it be
> > good to implement the native threads in FreeBSD under LinuxThreads or
> > NGPT?
>
> Except that these will never be used in the 'stock' FreeBSD kernel
> because of the GPL virus.  Second, it's alot of work to rewrite the system
> for another threading model.  The code (as written) is coded to run
> either with green threads, or with native (Posix) threads.

Actually, in 1.3.1 the operating system specific part of native threads
is restricted to essentially two or three files, so its not too difficult
to introduce a new threading system.  This is especially true with the
LinuxThreads option.  With NGPT you may need a bit more work as there
are no existing code bases which use it.

I agree it would be a lot of work under 1.1 or 1.2 though!

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494