Date:      Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:07:00 +1100
From:      "Murray Taylor" <MTaylor@bytecraft.com.au>
To:        "Howard Goldstein" <hg@queue.to>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: too many open files

>On 11/27/2011 22:07, Murray Taylor wrote:
>> I have have the same issue on a 8.0-RELEASE box and found with
>> fstat the tgam_server was holding 12511 open files ...
>>
>> A what purpose does this serve (google seems to indicate
>> that it is to speed up file access....)
>
> File alteration monitoring
>

>> B howinhell can I clobber it so it releases the files OR
>> (preferably) doesn't start doing this or anything...?
>
>Create a gaminrc.  I stole the template from the first google hit on=20
>"gaminrc" and stuck it in /usr/local/etc/gamin/gaminrc

Hi Howard et al,

My  /etc/gamin/gaminrc contains this

fsset ufs none
fsset msdosfs none

and I still have 16564 files associated with gam_server in fstat out
of 17424 open files reported by sysctl kern.openfiles

It appears that gam_server doesn't play nice with kill -HUP ( there are
6 processes running)
and also doesn't play nice with x-org/KDE as I can often
get a program hang/crash as the kernel bitches about too many open files
Kmail is particularly susceptible to this.

What actually initiates it as there appears to be no related entry
in either /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d ?

Currently, it is a waste of space to me, and a cause of program
instability!

Annoyed,
Murray T

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.=20

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

### This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses by Bytecraft ###