Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2015 10:12:30 +0300
From:      lausgans@gmail.com
To:        Justin Hibbits <jhibbits@freebsd.org>, hrs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Request for testing an alternate branch

<jhibbits@freebsd.org> =D0=BD=D0=B0=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BB(=D0=B0):=

>=20
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Justin Hibbits <jhibbits@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>> I've been working on the projects/pmac_pmu branch for some time now =
>> add suspend/resume as well as CPU speed change for certain PowerPC
>> machines, about a year since I created the branch, and now it's =
stable
>> enough that I want to merge it into HEAD, hence this request.

Thanks for your work! What is the estimated time when it will go HEAD?
May I expect that my powerbook4,1 machine will get ability to sleep =
under the FreeBSD now?

>> However,
>> it does touch several drivers, turning them into "early drivers", =
such
>> that they can be initialized, and suspended and resumed at a =
different
>> time.  Saying that, I do need testing from other architectures, to =
make
>> sure I haven't broken anything.
>>=20
>> The technical details:
>>=20
>> To get proper ordering, I've extended the bus_generic_suspend() and
>> bus_generic_resume() to do multiple passes.  Devices which cannot be
>> enabled or disabled at the current pass level would return an EAGAIN.
>> This could possibly cause problems, since it's an addition to an
>> existing API rather than a new API to run along side it, so it needs =
>> great deal of testing.  It works fine on PowerPC, but I don't have =
any
>> i386/amd64 or sparc64 hardware to test it on, so would like others =
who
>> do to test it.  I don't thin
>>=20
>> Also, any comments are of course welcome.  Technical concerns are
>> obviously welcome, and I will try to address everything.
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>>=20
>> Justin
>=20
> Thanks to hrs@, images are now available for the pmac_pmu project on
> allbsd for i386, amd64, sparc64, and ia64:
> https://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/ .

I understand that you provided these so people with another archs could =
test whether it doesn't break anything, but what about actual PPC users? =
;)
Considering that powerpc is a Tier 2 these days, it's not that easy even =
to get svn quickly for it to grab your tree, so I would ask adding =
projects_pmac_pmu to the powerpc building. Thanks.