Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 10:36:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP firmware compiled in as a default....

(late followup)>
> > However, I had a bit of a hard time with the SRM loaded f/w (and this is
> > the latest) when I had both an internal drive and 2 external tape drives.
> > This problem went away when I went back to compiling in the f/w which then
> > downloaded.
>
> Did you have both internal AND external devices on the same KZPBA card?
> FYI: we (== Compaq) don't support this. Obviously this decision is based
> on the f/w that is in the SRM code. Tests have shown it really does not
> work well when both internal and external devices are present on the same
> card. YMMV of course and I obviously don't know what was biting you.

Wasn't a standard KZPBA, but that's not the high order bit. If the f/w
figures out there's something on both internal and external connectors,
it's supposed to drop the pullups. That's why the 7.65 f/w is a lot better
than the 5.XXX f/w- in this case.

>,,,
> > So, I'm in a bit of a quandary now as to what the right thing to do is.
>
> Don't shoot me: the right thing to do is to make it possible to boot

... I won't shoot you, but it doesn't help me answer the question of
'should f/w be compiled in by default'. I suppose Mike answered it best
about checking sizes.

> Hm. The DEC-sanctioned cards (as far as SRM booting goes, so for
> system disks) only use 1040's if I'm not mistaken. So this might be the
> most practical short-term solution. How much would 1040-only f/w
> add to the installation kernel ?

Actually, the latest 4100 f/w (at least the one I installed at NASA/Ames)
recognizes the 2100, but won't boot from it. Nyah, Nyah! PTI PCI-470
and Anatres Qlogic 2100 clones have fcode in them and you can boot from
them on sparc!

-matt