Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:40:34 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Jeff Jeter <gsfgf@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New Disk on IDE card

Jeff Jeter wrote:

> 2) i have an unformatted IDE drive on a separate IDE card's primary
> channel.  When i try to mount /dev/ad2s1 or /dev/ad2 i get an "unknown
> special file or file system" error.  when i try to fdisk /dev/ad2 or
> fdisk ad2s1, i get a "device not configured error"  how do i access the
> new drive?

Look at your dmesg. I have my kernel setup two different ways. The first
has the " ATA_STATIC_ID " turned off and my drives go from ad0, ad1...,
and etc. The second way has the master drives on my Promise Ultra
controller starting at ad4 and ad6.

If you use /stand/sysinstall to set the new drive up, it seems to know
where the new one is located.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart