Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:26:48 -0500
From:      "Maildrop" <maildrop@qwest.net>
To:        "mpd" <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>, "Gregory Pavelcak" <gp@wilde.oit.umass.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Sorry Windows Question but Important

Won't just cat work fine?

cat /floppy/broken_file.doc > /tmp/fixed_file.doc

In the furture I would suggest against using floopy for *any* type of
storage, they are just way unreiable these days... at the very _least_ save
it to a REAL hard drive, if it is important backup on network drive (another
machines hard drive), CDR, zip disk or tape.  Don't even try using a floppy
for backup, they go bad easily.

Don't trust floppy disk for anything, back 5-6 years you could, not now with
price cutting and the low quality media that they sell dirt cheap.

Flopies are *designed* to break right after you put important data on
them... you decide if this is a joke or not...

If the floppy is dead there isn't much you can do.  You can try another
computer and see if that works.  Beter yet try reading it from the computer
in which it was orignally saved (disk heads may be out of line).

regards,
Jack