Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:10:03 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "Terry" <terry@bluelight.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:29 Problems with samba

> V> Dear All,
>

> V> From the win 2000 box I can see my freebsd box fqdn but can't connect
> V> any share. Win 2000 keeps <compalining "You have no authorization to
> V> connect to the share, ask the Administrator" (sorry, translating from
> V> Italian)
>
> V> PLEASE HELP!!!!
>
> V> Ciao
> V> Vittorio

> Are all the nessecary user created ? (meaning on the BSD box is a
> samba user and a system user with the same name as your Windows 2000
> login account ?)
>

>>[homes]
>>   comment = Home Directories
>>   browseable = no
>>   writable = yes
>
> I miss a path directive in your home dir configuration. Asfar as I
> understand somethin like:
>
> [Kopfkissen]
>         path = /mnt/hdd1
>
> Is the minimum share definition.
>
> HExren

With windows 2000 and xp you don't have to have matching users you will
get the chance to enter a user name and pass on accessing the share
The home dir share doe not require the path
A simple
[homes]
        read only = No
Will work fine have. You do need to add the user to samba with smbpasswd
-a user or pdbedit -a -u username depending on your version of samba and
password back end. I've stuck with smbpasswd -a user because it works fine
Also make sure your windows 2000 machine is just playing up for what ever
reason

--
Regards Terry