Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:28:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, jlemon@flugsvamp.com, bright@wintelcom.net
Subject:   Re: Thread-specific data and KSEs

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 22-Nov-00 Terry Lambert wrote:
> > The %gs register already has to be saved for WINE processes,
> > so it's taken (at least when USER_LDT is defined).  So there
> > would not be an additional context switch for it.
>
> Ok.  Since %fs is only used in the kernel and is saved/restored it might be a
> good thing to use instead.

I didn't think %fs was saved, but if it is, that's fine
with me too.

> > I think that if you guys go forward with this, you should do an
> > indirect through whatever you end up using.  I realize this will
> > cost an additional 6 clock cycles, but it will let you expand
> > the list of things indefinitely, going forward, instead of having
> > to keep a register dedicated for backward compatability, and then
> > somehow "grow a new one" when you need to do something similar to
> > this again, in the future.
>
> It will be an indirect if I have any say in it. :)  Currently we use %fs in the
> kernel to address a segment that contains per-CPU data.  I think that if we use
> a seg reg, then we should have it address a segment that contains per-KSE data.

Didn't Terry want an additional level of indirection?  If we
have %fs address a segment containing per-KSE data, then I'd
like to place pointers to both the KSE struct and the thread struct
(2 slots) in this segment (this would remove 1 level of indirection
to "current thread").

--
Dan Eischen