Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:27:38 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Stanislav <stanislav@corp.n9.ru>
Cc:        Johan Hendriks <Johan@double-l.nl>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Move data from 3ware RAID-1 disk to MB disk

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 05:19:43PM +0400, Stanislav wrote:
> Dear Johan,
>
> But hetzner support told me that data will be lost if connect disk to
> motherboard controller:
> "If we connect the HDD's on the Mainboard-controller, they were detected as
> empty HDD, because the controller write the sectors in a other way, like the
> RAID-controler!"

That is probably correct.

> But I think that maybe 3ware writes their RAID table somewhere near MBR record.

Maybe.

> So maybe I have to rewrite MBR and that disk will work on motherboard
> controller?

Maybe, but you don't know how you should rewrite the MBR (i.e. what should
be written to it), and neither do I (and probably not the people at hetzner
either.) You could try asking the 3Ware people directly, but I doubt they
support such an operation.

> I have backups, but this is production system, and I want to switch to
> MB controller with minimal downtime.

That might not be possible.  One of the drawbacks with real hardware-RAID
is that each controller (or at least each manufacturer) has its own format
and it is usually not possible to move disks between different controllers
without losing the data on them.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson