Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 2010 13:26:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@freebsd.org>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deterministic lockup / panic in networking stack with ipfw / natd  enabled on recent amd64 STABLE / CURRENT

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010, Ian Smith wrote:
 > On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Garrett Cooper wrote:
 >  > Hi,
 >  >     I'm experiencing a deterministic situation on a development box I
 >  > manage when I do the following to enable ipfw and natd to bridge a
 >  > network with two bce(4) enabled NICs, where if I do the following
 >  > steps below, then try to push a few tcp frames through, the kernel
 >  > either hardlocks, or panics in the bce(4) code, ipfw(4) code or
 >  > networking stack code.
 >  >     My kernel is relatively vanilla (I just turned off a number of
 >  > drivers that I don't use because the hardware support isn't there),
 >  > and all of the networking options available in GENERIC are enabled as
 >  > well. I have ipfw, ipfw_nat, and libalias built as modules, along with
 >  > bce and em.
 >  >     I've included the stats on the machine. Note that it is a dual
 >  > SMT-enabled quad core machine with 8GB of RAM. I haven't done anything
 >  > to pimp the box settings via make.conf whatsoever. I would provide a
 >  > crashdump, but dumpon is broken on the box (which is extremely
 >  > annoying). Please note that pf doesn't have any issues pushing packets
 >  > with similar rules.
 >  >     This has occurred on both 8-STABLE (r209169), and 9-CURRENT (r208809).
 >  >     Here's the manual procedure for reproducing the issue:
 >  >
 >  > # Do the following steps (this isn't automated apparently as it
 >  > completely blocks off a running box, when using ipfw restart is run).
 >  >
 >  > # Copy the 8.0-RELEASE copy of rc.firewall over
 >  > cp -p /usr/src/etc/rc.firewall /etc
 >  >
 >  > # Make sure you have access via ssh being redirected via natd.
 >  > echo "redirect_port tcp 192.168.10.1:22 22" > /etc/natd.conf
 >  >
 >  > # Enable all of the required services and knobs
 >  > cat >> /etc/rc.conf <<EOF
 >  > firewall_enable="YES"
 >  > firewall_logging="YES"
 >  > firewall_nat_enable="YES"
 >  > firewall_nat_interface="bce1"
 >  > firewall_type="open"
 >  > gateway_enable="YES"
 >  > ipfw_enable="YES"
 >  > natd_enable="YES"
 >  > natd_interface="bce1"
 >  > natd_flags="-dynamic -d -m"
 >  > EOF
 >
 > Garrett I missed this earlier; here from your ref in the TSO thread.
 >
 > If you enable both firewall_nat and natd as above, on that config you
 > should have wound up with two of ipfw rule 50, like
 >
 >  50 divert 8668 ip4 from any to any via bce1
 >  50 nat 123 ip4 from any to any via bce1
 >
 > but I don't think you really wanted to run natd then firewall_nat again
 > like that?

Oh, sorry .. that's not right; I quite forgot the discussions in ipfw@
about this a while ago, until I re-browsed natd(8):

          After translation by natd, packets re-enter the firewall at the rule
          number following the rule number that caused the diversion (not the
          next rule if there are several at the same number).

so in this case only natd should be invoked and the ipfw nat skipped.

 > Also I'm pretty sure you'd need to include '-f /etc/natd.conf' in your
 > natd_flags for your redirect_port config, here's no default configfile
 > for natd (AFAIK)

I think that's right - or you can specify -redirect_port in natd_flags.

 > I guess rc.firewall ought to be checking that natd_enable and
 > firewall_nat_enable aren't both YES ..

.. and that becomes irrelevant, though it's still an ambiguous config.

cheers, Ian