Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:48:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        davids@webmaster.com (David Schwartz), mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

> I disagree. I think that there is a general consensus that authors do
> have moral rights, and at least some of the current laws are honest
> efforts to protect them. The DMCA is not one of those laws, though.

Authors do not have moral rights; they have legal rights,
granted to them under law, such law in the United States
being an instrumentality of Article I, Section 8, Clause 8
of the U.S. Constitution:

	To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts,
	by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors
	the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and
	Discoveries;

That "Right" is a legal right, not a moral right.

If "intellectual property" were real property, as AT&T tried
to claim in their lawsuit against UCB, and as they pretended
when they distributed their "cease and desist" letters, then,
like any real property, I could establish a proscriptive lien
through adverse use.

In other words, I could claim "squatters rights", since AT&T
did not prevent me from using their "trade secrets" for more
than a year.

I would _dearly_ love for some court to screw up somewhere,
and declare intellectual property to be real property.

One thing that would be immediately interesting, should that
happen, is that all patent and copyright assignments would
become invalid, without a bill of sale, transfer of title,
or deed (even selling mineral rights requires these things).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.