Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2019 21:42:17 +0200
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GPT boot has less features than legacy MBR-based one (Was: UEFI,  loader.efi and /boot.config)

<freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>> On 18 Jan 2019, at 19:57, Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> On 18.01.2019 20:13, Warner Losh wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Ok, strictly speaking it is different issue with same "high-level"
boot0.
>>>=20
>>> pmbr/gptbood doesn't have any way to select partition to boot from, =
as
>>> "boot0" has. No, setting "nextboot" from live system is not a =
solution.
>>> I speak about NanoBSD situation when there is tow partitions, both
>>> bootable, one marked as "active" ("bootme" on GPT parlance) but it =
is
>>> completely broken and user need to boot from other one form very
>>> beginning. This task is trivially solved by "boot0" in pure-MBR =
case.
>>> What about GPT/Legacy and GPT/UEFI?
>>>=20
>>> --=20
>>> // Lev Serebryakov
>>>=20
>>=20
>> errm.. you press a key and enter device and or loader path. if it is =
not working - the code is there to be fixed.
>> GPT does not have the concept of active partition.
>=20
> It certainly does, it is called the attribute bootme,
> and the above correctly states that.
>=20

Shall you give the reference to specification?:)=20

I am very well aware about the =E2=80=9Cvendor=E2=80=9D attributes, and =
I guess You can make a difference about vendor extensions and =
specification=E2=80=A6 =20

And regarding to GPT attributes, I personally would avoid writing =
partition table from the boot loader=E2=80=A6

rgds,
toomas