Date:      23 Nov 2002 23:35:05 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Patrick Fish <patrick@pwhsnet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dc0: watchdog timeout (ethernet card locks up)

Hi Patrick,
   Which nic is it?

This is usually the result of the nic hardware, after being given a
packet to transmit(layer 1, if you will) being unable to issue an ack
back up the stack to indicate that the packet was indeed transmitted
before the specified timeout period - usually resulting in what appears
to be a loss of network connection.

Check the nic status (ifconfig dc0), netstat -Idc0 -d
Check the physical network connection
At the last you can always bounce the nic:-
ifconfig dc0 down
<wait for a few seconds>
ifconfig dc0 up
Test to see if the nic comes back okay

Hope this helps., If not come back to the list with some info on which
nic it is. I say this as there are some nic's that use the dc driver
that are known to have flaky performance (eg D-Link, Kingston & LinkSys)
under high load.

Regards,

Stacey

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 23:17, Patrick Fish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problems transferring large files at a high rate of
> speed over my LAN. I can get about 8mb/sec for about 7 seconds or less,
> then i get the following in console:
>

> Nov 23 14:26:19 ns1 kernel: dc0: watchdog timeout
>
> and the ethernet card freezes and my download stops.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Patrick Fish

Stacey Roberts