Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 19:54:55 -0400
From:      Advanced Digital Research <adrl@whoweb.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.2-RELEASE Fake Install

I copied the 2.2.2-RELEASE package from ftp.freebsd.org and want to fake
an install by
directly unpacking the archives on a spare disk I have available.  I
modified the install.sh
files so I could point the bits to the mount point of the spare disk.
Are there any preinstall
or post-install requirements that the installation normally performs
that I might have
bypassed?  I'm currently running FreeBSD V2.1 without a boot manager,
and configured to always
boot the 2.1 system disk.  How can I boot the alternate disk?  BTW, this
ain't no DOS shared
system...FreeBSD only.

I've been unable to boot the 2.2.2 disk thus-far.  But come on...where
there's a will, there's
a way.  (isn't there?)

Jon