Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:24:26 -0600
From:      Harry Coin <harrycoin@qconline.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPICAM?

John,

Thanks for answering.  The relation appears to be some combination of
atapicam's interaction with an ata DVD burner and multiple ata controllers.

I mentioned the four umass0 devices because that appears to be the only
unusual thing about this box in the storage world.  Anyhow here's a link to
the dmesg and conf
showing the problem. HTH.

If whoever it is that knows about atapicam is still around, just do a
search in the freebsd mail lists for atapicam and hanging or interrupt
storms on boot, you'll see there's been a lurking problem there that hasn't
been really addressed since somewhere in late 4.x.

I think the reason it's important is that k3b and the programs it uses can
only deal with SCSI appearing burners.  If there was an atapi burner
interface directly in the various multimedia program then atapicam wouldn't
be needed at all.

Right now it's a rock and a hard place, I have to boot another OS whenever
I need to write on CD's or DVD's as it is now.

Anyhow I hope I'm not barging in the wrong list, I gathered this was the
place to report 5.x system lockups on boot.  Excuse the newbie error!

Harry Coin