Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 16:30:22 -0400
From:      Dan Welch <WELCHDW@wofford.edu>
To:        HARDWARE@FREEBSD.ORG
Cc:        WELCHDW@wofford.edu
Subject:   isa bus and boca multiport boards

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty getting Boca's 8 and 16 port
boards to work in my standard isa bus machines.  A few of the boards
work ok, some work with a port or two appearing to be bad, others
have a chunk of neighboring ports appearing not to work. Which ports
are "bad" is stable in a given machine, but may differ between
machines.

Additionally, the boards will often cause a machine to no longer
be able to complete a reboot via "shutdown -r now"; the machine will
just freeze after finishing sync. Remove the board and all is well
again.

At first I thought I just had a bad bunch of boards (3 8's and 3
16's) and got them replaced.  The replacement set is just as bad.
In the 12 boards I've tried, I have only gotten one "good" 8 port and
one "good" 16 port; there's a single "bad" port in each but
otherwise workable, except that the 16 port prohibits full reboot
except by reset button.

The first Boca board I ever bought (8 port) worked flawlessly in all
three machines it's occupied and still does.

This problem spans 8 machines of 486 and 586 class, with clocks
ranging from 20 MHz to 75 MHz.

Does anybody recognize the problem?