Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 02:18:48 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
Cc:        "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" <babolo@links.ru>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: device naming convention

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Marc Tardif wrote:

> > 0cicuta/home/babolo(9)#dd of=/dev/wd0s2 if=/dev/zero bs=660b
> > 1cicuta/home/babolo(11)#od -b /dev/wd0s2
> [ snip ]
> > Why I use 2.2.7 for test?
> > Because of my lovely 4.1-STABLE is extremly unstable with content of
> > ad0s2 (wd0s2) above and silently reboot after the first dd in the test above.
> >
> Assuming my wd0s2 is still unused and of size 0, 3.5-STABLE also crashes in the test above (no disk activity, ctrl-c doesn't work, alt-f# doesn't work either). Perhaps it eventually reboots, but I wasn't patient enough to wait that long. One solution to this problem is to specify the count blocks after which dd returns properly but still no bytes are copied.

[Please use lines somewhat shorter than 360 characters.]

This is a completely diferent problem.  wd0s2 was buffered in 3.5, and
buffered devices are very broken in 3.1 and later versions of 3.x (write
errors are retried endlessly.  Among other bugs, writing beyond EOF hangs
the system when it allocates all buffers for writing unwritable data).

Bruce