Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:10:57 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about cvs(1)

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 05:05:44PM -0800, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > Further investigation revealed that share/ was missing in /usr/www. I
> > checked that it was in my repo, then ran:
> >
> > 	cvs update -P www
> >
> > but it didn't check it out. I then used
> >
> > 	cvs checkout www
> >
> > and this worked (and updated some other stuff as well). I've read the
> > cvs(1) manpage (several times) and I am certain that ``checkout'' is used
> > for creating the tree initially and then ``update'' should maintain the
> > tree, including checking out new files/dirs, deleting ones that have been
> > removed from the repo, and updating changed files/dirs.
> >
> > So why did ``update'' fail to check out www/share? I realize that I
> > may
>
> Becuase unless otherwise specified, 'update' goes through every
> directory *in the checked out copy* and looks for new files.  It
> doesn't look for new directories in the respository.  From cvs(1):
>
>             Use the -d option  to  create  any  directories  that
>             exist  in  the repository if they're missing from the
>             working directory.  (Normally, update  acts  only  on
>             directories  and  files that were already enrolled in
>             your working directory.)

Ah thank you. I hadn't read that far down because the description of the
``update'' option seemed clear enough:

       update Bring  your  working  directory  up  to  date  with
              changes from the repository.  Merges are  performed
              automatically when possible; a warning is issued if
              manual  resolution  is  required  for   conflicting
              changes.   (Changes  working  directory;  does  not
              change repository.)

> So, instead of `cvs update -P www`, you would do `cvs update -Pd www`.
>
> As to why checkout didn't get share/ in the first place, I do not
> know.
>
> Hope this helps

It does. Thanks.

> --
> Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
> Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.
>
> Life would be much easier if we could just read the source code.

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie