Date:      Sat, 10 May 2008 15:56:55 +0200
From:      Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD7/xorg/radeon: Section "Screen" totally ignored

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 02:46:42PM +0100, Richard Bown wrote:

> >I've got a problem while replacing NVidia GeForce4 with Radeon
> >9000Pro: it
> >seems, that xorg totally ignores either entire `Section "Screen"'
> >paragraph, or at least every single `SubSection "Display"' entry inside
> >that paragaraph.
>
> >As a result, I'm unable to have desired resolution at desired bpp, when
> >starting X-server, it always chooses on its own. The second consequence
> >is, that there's no possibility to switch resolutions using
> ><Ctrl>-<Alt>-<+ -> anymore.

> You could try loading PC-BSD and seeing what that puts in xorg.conf.
> BUT beware of its loader, it will use the largest partition it can find.
> so don't leave the power connected to the HD that has linux. or
> anything else you want to keep.
> Easiest just to use a spare  2~3 GB HD.

I made a try using xorgconf utility, to make a xorg.conf "from scratch",
and from within FreeBSD. But still the screen section seems to be totally
ignored - no chance to switch to other resolution, and no chance to choose
the default resolution.

Perhaps someone is aware of any fixes existing for the problem? Googling
around revealed just some more similar complaints - but not any cure.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski