Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:49:45 +0200
From:      Gabor PALI <pgj@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange Swapping Issues(?)

Hi Jeremy,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> The swapinfo command you ran was not run at 05:26 in the morning.

It was run a few minutes after.  I accidentally got it live :)  Well,
I was expecting that because I have seen similar message previously in
the logs.  I think it is unlikely that things suddenly fall below 3%
after the kernel has complained about the lack of swap space.  Please,
correct me, if I am wrong here.

> You should probably set up a small script, run via cronjob, that logs
> swapinfo -h output to a file somewhere (rotate it if you want via
> newsyslog.conf).

Great idea, will do it.

> You may have something running on the system that spirals out of
> control, such as a web board script being pounded to death, or something
> that's forking excessively.

It is called parallel nightly build of the Glasgow Haskell Compiler :D
 According to its official documentation, compilation and testing is
very intensive, indeed. I am trying to launch the builders in
different times in order to distribute the load.

> I'd also recommend having the script output "top -b -o res 100", which
> will give you the top 100 processes on the machine sorted by RSS
> [..]=A0So I'm making the assumption RSS will be large.

We will see soon...

Thanks for the quick help!

:g