Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 11:11:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@rflab1.gtri.gatech.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   2.0.5A, AHA2842, DAT drive problem

	I'm having a bit of trouble with 2.0.5 Alpha, my tape drive, and
my AHA2842...I was wondering if someone out there might have some idea
about what I can do to get things working properly.
Here's the general hardware info:

Intel DX4-100 (Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x480  Stepping=0)
VLB/ISA board, SiS chipset, AMI Winbios
32 megs of ram
vlb ide card, 340 meg WD AC2340, 1 gig Micropolis 2112A
Adaptec 2842
  - id 0 - Quantum Atlas XP34300 (4.3 gig drive)
  - id 1 - NEC 3xe cdrom drive (external)
  - id 4 - Sony SDT-5000 DDS-2 DAT drive (external)
3c509 combo
Sound Blaster 16

	I'm having trouble restoring files from the DAT drive.  When I try
restoring (using tar) things go very slowly, and then if I use the hard
drive (sd0) a bit while the tape operation is going, I get timeout errors from
ahc driver.  The strange thing is, the timeout errors say that _sd0_ timed
out, not the tape drive.  Well, once I got a timeout error saying that the
tape drive timed out, but most of the time it is the hard drive.  When the
timeouts start happening, the light on the SCSI chain stays lit, and the
system locks up.  I haven't had any trouble at all with the hard drive when
the tape drive is not in use, and the cdrom drive seems to work fine as well.
So I think it would be a safe assumption that there's some sort of problem
in the way the tape drive is being handled.

	I doubt this is a hardware problem, since I'm using this same
setup under OS/2, and the tape drive, cdrom drive and hard drive all
function flawlessly there.  Both ends of the SCSI chain are terminated,
the Atlas drive has active termination enabled.  (the DAT drive on the
other end only has a passive terminator, but again, it works fine under
OS/2)
	One other minor annoyance is that tagged queueing doesn't work
with the hard drive.  When I tried booting a kernel with tagged queueing
enabled, I just got a bunch of messages saying "Queue full" and the system
couldn't mount sd0.

	Oh yeah, here are the boot messages from the ahc driver (this is
without options AHC_TAGENABLE):

ahc1: reading board settings
ahc1: 284x Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, aic7770 >= Rev E, 4 SCBs
ahc1: Using Edge Triggered Interrupts
ahc1: Downloading Sequencer Program...Done
ahc1 at 0x1000-0x10ff irq 11 on eisa slot 1
ahc1: Probing channel A
ahc1 waiting for scsi devices to settle
ahc1: target 0 synchronous at 10.0MB/s, offset = 0xf
(ahc1:0:0): "Quantum XP34300 55B1" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0(ahc1:0:0): Direct-Access 4101MB (8399520 512 byte sectors)
ahc1: target 1 synchronous at 5.0MB/s, offset = 0xf
(ahc1:1:0): "NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:500 1.0" type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0(ahc1:1:0): CD-ROM cd present.[216477 x 2048 byte records]
ahc1: target 4 synchronous at 5.0MB/s, offset = 0xf
(ahc1:4:0): "SONY SDT-5000 3.02" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st0(ahc1:4:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x13, 512-byte blocks, write-enabled

	One other thing, / is on wd0, everything else is on sd0.  This is
the first time I've been able to put FreeBSD on this system.  Everything up
to and including the 4/12 SNAP wouldn't quite work with the AHA 2842.

	Other than this one problem, I'm really impressed with 2.0.5.  The
install is a lot better than the 2.0 install.

	I hope I've included enough information for a diagnosis of the
problem.  If not, let me know and I'll send along whatever is needed.

Thanks,

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry