Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:35:39 +0100
From:      Thomas Stratmann <strattbo@stud.physik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard error writing...

Hello,

I don't believe in bad sectors since the disk is brand new.
I feel sure now to be able to tell that the thing happens very well
reproducably right after waking up from disk hibernation (which is
done by the toshiba bios). It didn't happen with the original
toshiba disk, however. I already found a workaround which works but is
really nasty:

Enter 'atacontrol' to have atacontrol loaded into mem
Enter 'atacontrol reinit 0' but *NOT* enter return so that the root
shell with this command is open after wakeup.
Go into hibernation (in my case, close lid or hit power button)
Wake up (open lid/hit power button)
Right then after the box has woken up hit return in the shell.

The symptom after hibernation was that any disk access seemed to fail,
so I suspected the controller had been left in some dangling state.

So, it works now for me except I never must forget to exactly follow
the above procedure. If anyone knows a better way, *please* let me know!

Cheers
Thomas Stratmann