Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:30:52 +0100
From:      Karol Kwiatkowski <karol.kwiat@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Productivity with FBSD, or: "portupgrade" vs. virus scans....

--------------enig8C0462EA0AACAB3E9C35B1A4

Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> [...]
> My box does *everything* except provide workstation facilities to my
> family and co-workers.  Company intranet and site development server,
> gateway/fw/nat/proxy, POP/IMAP and MTA, SAMBA, DNS, rsync for backups,
> print services via apsfilter over lpr, and, my desktop with XFCE4.  I
> have set up scripts to handle rebuilding -STABLE, usually about monthly=
=2E
>  I have the CD Burner we use; the only thing we need Win* for are the
> kid's games and school apps, as a "test box" for clients and web
> previewing in MSIE, and the fact that other family members (and one
> co-worker) all prefer "known territory".
>=20
> Needless to say, the FBSD box needs to be "up and running" almost all
> the time.  It seems lately that maintaining the many ports providing al=
> these services is taking away valuable time that should be spent *reall=
> working*.

My setup, in somewhat similar scenario, includes an old PC* which serves
all "critical" services: ppp/gateway/firewall, SMTP/POP3, DNS (cache),
NTP, WWW, Samba. It is running RELEASE branch (6.2 atm).

As for updating - I'm using freebsd-update whenever I can.
Unfortunately, on this one I can't (I need ALTQ amongst other things) so
I set up a jail on my workstation (more memory, much faster) to build
kernel/world. Prepared files go over LAN through sshd - a script and
public key authorization - and get installed with another script.

For ports I use similar technique - packages are build on the
workstation in a jail, transfered to "server" and 'portupgrade -afPP'
takes care of the rest. Again, in general I would use packages from ftp
sites, I'm compiling them only because I need some special options.

That way I'm more flexible with my desktop - I can turn it off or
"brake" by playing with kernel ;)

> Perhaps I need a more reliable Internet link; packet radio occasionally=

> (at least with my current provider) seems to experience sharp drops in
> performance, which makes tarball-fetching take a long time during the
> day, whilst the fact that there are so many ports installed means
> "portupgrade -arR --fetch-only" takes more than an overnight, also.

I guess fetching them overnight is the best option.

> If you're a desktop FBSD user:
>=20
> How do you keep up with ports?

First let me say my desktop, differently then in your scenario, is only
for me. There are times when I know I can't afford any (possible) delay,
but generally I stay up-to-date. I use ports, the only exception is
OpenOffice.org.

The procedure is:
- run script update-ports.sh - it used to use cvsup, now portsnap;
- check UPDATING (oh yeah ;)
- upgrade via 'portupgrade -rp portname' - I've got some big ones (like
kdelibs) on hold, so I can choose when I'd like to do them;

With 'nice +20' it's perfectly normal to work while upgrading (seamonkey
is compiling as I write).

>    *Do you have (or have you, at some time, had) much trouble?

I had some problems at the beginning, when I was to smart to do better
:) I was doing strange things like messing with compilation flags,
upgrading only some of the libraries (used by other ports), etc.

I learned my lesson and haven't got any troubles for few years now at
all (well, there was one when gnome went to LOCALBASE, but that doesn't
happen too often).

>    *If you have trouble, do you accept it as a "cost" of using FreeBSD?=

It was frustrating a few times but there was only me to blame. I learned
how to use portupgrade and be carefull to details (like "will X brake if
I upgrade Y").

> How often do you upgrade your ports/packages?

Few (1-3) times a week.

> Any suggestions on what I might do differently?
>
>    *Should I quit updating FBSD except for major point releases?

I think that would be a good idea. I use STABLE on _my_ desktop where I
can play with it, but RELEASE otherwise. If I wouldn't have that small
PC I mentioned before I would definitely went with RELEASE with security
updates.

>    *Should we upgrade the server-type ports and leave the desktop apps
> alone when we get a "stable" configuration there?

All services facing the Internet should be treated carefully. As for
others - I guess that depends but I wouldn't browse Internet with an
outdated browser, for example.

>    *How dangerous is it to be using outdated ports (particularly the
> servers)?

On the Internet - pretty dangerous in general (robots will find you
eventually). On LAN probability is much smaller, but remember some "bad"
software may get installed on internal Windows machines and start attack
from there.

> To sum up, I doubt I'll jettison FBSD from my desktop, but I wish to be=

> assured I'm not wasting time doing what amounts to "busy work" to keep
> my 3rd-party apps going when I could sit at the next desk and probably
> worry less about that....
>=20
> Thanks for your time, thoughts and strategies,
>=20
> Kevin Kinsey

You're welcome. To sum it up - in your situation I think I would go with
RELEASE plus security updates for system and packages from ftp sites.
This setup should give you a "stable" base to work with.

Best regards,

Karol

* Celeron 400Mhz, 96MB RAM, 20GB HDD with few network cards and
practically nothing else (no monitor, no keyboard, etc.)

--=20
Karol Kwiatkowski   <karol.kwiat at gmail dot com>
OpenPGP 0x06E09309