Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:53:07 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Adam McLaurin <adam.mclaurin@gmx.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: squid-2.5.4_6 warning: port must be >1024

--UFHRwCdBEJvubb2X

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:04:38AM -0500, Adam McLaurin wrote:
> Also, keep in mind you'll need to append your rc.conf with:
> squid_enable=3D"YES"
>=20
> It does seem strange that a port's behaviour would be controlled by the
> rc.conf, but I suppose that's how the maintainer wanted it done. If this
> is going to be how it is from now on, perhaps squid_enable should be
> mentioned in /etc/defaults/rc.conf ?

This is a feature of rcNG -- instead of installing a sample startup
file, which you have to copy into place, you instead get the
rcNG-ified startup file, which you can turn on and customise by
setting variables in /etc/rc.conf

I don't think it would be feasible to add the default settings for all
of the ports that use rcNG to /etc/defaults/rc.conf -- if you want to
keep your ports stuff cleanly separated from the base systems, then
add:

    rc_conf_files=3D"/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.local /usr/local/etc/rc.port=
s.conf"

to your /etc/rc.conf, and put your ports related settings in there.
The default rcNG startup script settings are documented in the scripts
themselves.  It might be an idea to make such ports register their
default settings in /usr/local/etc/defaults/rc.ports.conf (for
example) but I'm not entirely convinced that the benefit of doing so
outweighs the effort required to set it up.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way