Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 19:40:31 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        KEPA <keparena@euskalnet.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptops & FreeBSD

This really doesn't belong on -chat, so I've cross-posted over to
-questions, and I suspect any follow-ups would be best left there.

On Sep 15, KEPA <keparena@euskalnet.net> wrote:
> I'm thinking on buying a laptop.
> I know clone laptops origine installation problems with Linux ordinary.
> Dell. IBM and Sony are recomended.
> Is it the same in FreeBSD?

I've had many problems in the past with various laptop installs, but just
this week I got FBSD 4.3 onto a Thinkpad 240 without problems. In general,
the laptop is not the problem, it's the peripherals you want to use. For
example, PCMCIA network cards are notorious (in this household anyway) for
getting working if you skimp and buy a 'vanilla' card. I spent a bit extra
and got a regular 3com 10/100 card and FBSD saw it and used without any
problems at all.

So, to answer your question, these days almost any laptop will work, but
make sure you're using well-known cards, CD's, etc. and remember that most
laptops with internal modems are normally winmodems, the support for which I
haven't got working yet.

--
Technical Director @ Akita      | A computer lets you make more mistakes
                                `-----