Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:44:04 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <zbigniew@szalbot.homedns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing manual pages

On 2007-07-23 11:31, Zbigniew Szalbot <zbigniew@szalbot.homedns.org> wrote:
>>> When I went for FreeBSD, I chose the minimal distribution and as a
>>> result do not have man pages. I would like to install them but when
>>> I specify an fpt server (via sysinstall) I get:
>>>
>>> Unable to transfer the manpages distribution from
>>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org.
>>>
>>> This is 6.2-RELEASE-p6 #4. I changed the name into any in
>>> sysinstall options because otherwise it would complain that there
>>> is no such distribution on the server.
>>>
>>> What should I do to have the man pages installed?
>>
>> Fire up sysinstall and add the 'man' bundle of files? :-)
>
> Thanks for your answer. You probably did not read my post. I do this
> via sysinstall and it fails.

Ah, I apologize for that.  You are right, of course; I misread at least
part of the original post.  I obviously need more coffee before I am
fully aware of the reality around me :)

> But I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  I do not have the FBSD iso
> image so I need to use an ftp server and here's where I get stuck.

It's possible that sysinstall tries to fetch manpages from a
non-existent place.  You can download the 6.2-RELEASE manpages
from the FTP site and install them manually.

The manpages can be found at:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/6.2-RELEASE/manpages/

If you have wget installed, installing them should be as easy as:

  [1] Create an empty manpages/ directory

      # mkdir manpages

  [2] Enter the new manpages/ directory

      # cd manpages

  [3] Fetch the files from FTP

      # wget -nd -np -r -c ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/6.2-RELEASE/manpages/

  [4] Run the 'install.sh' script as root:

      # ./install.sh

That's all.  You don't even need to run sysinstall for this :-)