Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 05:50:27 -0500
From:      Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        William Holt <wiholt@cabrillo.edu>
Subject:   problem and workaround for java/tomcat on -current

Sometime after Jan 20, -current has been unable to run tomcat
(and other things, such as the Jetty issue William Holt reported).
I took his CrashBSD.java prog, and further determined that only
the "0.0.0.0" caused the bus error -> abort problem.

import java.net.*;
public class CrashBSD
{
    static public void main( String args[] )
    {
        try
        {
            InetAddress a = InetAddress.getByName("127.0.0.1");
            ServerSocket sa = new ServerSocket(0,10,a);
            System.out.println(sa);
            InetAddress b = InetAddress.getByName("0.0.0.0");
            ServerSocket sb = new ServerSocket(0,10,b);
            System.out.println(sb);
        }
        catch ( Exception e )
       {
           System.out.println( e );
           System.exit( 1 );
       }
   }
}

You'll notice that the 127.0.0.1 InetAddress works just fine, but
the "0.0.0.0" addr causes the error.  I dug a bit further into
what change since 20 Jan is causing this, but had no luck.  However,
the problem can be worked around by adding a line in the /etc/hosts
for the "0" ip.

0.0.0.0                 all.interfaces.on.this.machine

What strange effects might this cause?  I have no clue :-), but
tomcat seems to be happy again...

hth,
  brent