Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 08:26:52 -0400
From:      Claude Perron <perronc@videotron.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FTP directory and files access restrictions

We plan to use FreeBSD as a FTP Server to monitor the transfer rate of
our Motorola CableRouter. I setup an anonymous FTP client, but I would
rather setup an ordinary FTP client that would log through the
user/passwd scheme. This client should not be allowed anywhere but the
the directory where we hold the downloadable files we use to measure the
performance of cable modems on the field.

The setup was straightforward. I closely follow the instructions, along
with the manual (man descriptions). I setup an anonymous client that
created the directory structure I needed automatically (incoming, pub,
etc, bin) along with all the necessary files.

I modified the FTPUSER file to include the ANONYMOUS user, so the systen
would deny anonymous access.
I created a file named FTPCHROOT and included in it a client TECH so it
would follow an anonymous client behavior with the same restricted
privilege.

Everything is just fine, execpt in one point: When the user TECH logs
in, he does not see any directory nor file informations; just a blank
screen. LS and CD are useless. Nothing seem to happen.
I uploaded a file, and checked the server: the file appeared on the
server. But nothing on the client side. I just cant see files.  What's
wrong ?

Please help.