Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:36:15 -0800
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which unix to study?

Jim Conner wrote:

> Hey Cliff,
>
> I work for a telecommunications company and we use a TON of Solaris.  But
> really, if you just need to know the basic of Unix, any unix-alike can
> provide that.  I started with Linux, moved over to FreeBSD, and then not
> too long after that got into DEC, HP, Solaris, and AIX.  Now, I mostly work
> with Solaris.  There are subtle differences between the various
> flavors.  The bigger differences don't become apparent until you start
> coding in the various environments.  The way these flavors perform memory
> management, swapping, etc.  So, I can safely suggest (from personal
> experience) that FreeBSD would be fine to study...but I truly think for
> beginners that some flavor of Linux is best.  I don't know how many others
> on this list would back me on that, but as a personal thought, I offer you
> that.
>
> Happy Unix'ing :)  UNIX RULES!  WINDBLOWZ...er eh hem...nevermind.
>
> - Jim

I agree with what Jim has stated. I started with Jim's suggestion and
coming from a previous career as a Machinist I knew "NOT" to get stuck
in the Linux box. I am currently sending this from a Solaris-8 box here
at home, sitting next to my FreeBSD-4.1 box, sitting next to 3 different
Linux boxes.

<no_flame_please>

Unix is Unix is Unix and I feel that anything forward slash is included.
I tell my Linux co-workers that the reason I have (at work too) an
OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris box at my workstation is that the Unix
"engine" may differ as in the "starter" may be on the right side of the
engine on one Unix and the battery on the left vs another Unix engine,
they all are more or less the same and it pays to "pop the hood" on all
the vehicles ON A REGULAR BASIS so if one drive into your shop looking
for a mechanic you not sitting there stumped.

</no_flame_please>

I keep an account at San Francisco's City College which give me access
to HP-UX. I envy Jim for the ability to be exposed to "popping the hood"
on an AIX and DEC. Trust me, if they made Intel versions of their builds
I'd go out an buy extra boxes to run there here at home in unison.

I've seen people limit themselves in the steel industry with: "I don't
silver solder, that's for plumbers....." or "I don't braze, I'm a
welder...." and those poor bastards were left collecting un-employment
an getting their seniority bounced by individuals who took the time to
do "different platforms".

I got stumped this weekend on a "VMware on FreeBSD" but will keep
hacking. They had a saying at the Naval shipyards I used to do cetified
welding at and it went like this: "If you haven't flunked a welding
test, you haven't been welding long enough !!"

Happy "Holidays/Hacking"

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076