Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 2016 23:42:23 +0000
From:      James Lodge <James@Lodge.me.uk>
To:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 11 - Bhyve - Spoof MAC address

>> On Jan 4, 2016, at 9:32 AM, James Lodge <James@Lodge.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I'm just getting started with Bhyve. So far everything is working as exp=
ected. My original goal was to be running Ubuntu 12.04 i386 as I need it fo=
r a particular project. One issue I'm having is MAC address spoofing. I'm a=
ware I can change the MAC address within Ubuntu but I'd like to configure t=
he tap interface from the host which should be possible according to man pa=
ges.

>> Bhyve Man Page: https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dbhyve&sektio=
n=3D8

>> The issue I have is that by setting the below, the vm boots, I can conso=
le via null modem, but there is no eth0 interface, only the loopback. Remov=
ing the static MAC, reboot and everything is present and correct.

>> -s 2:0,virtio-net,tap0,mac=3Dxx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>
> It looks like you are setting the MAC correctly on your bhyve command lin=
e and bhyve is running; so far so good. Is it possible that Ubuntu has a di=
fferent MAC saved for its idea of eth0 and is therefore not doing what you =
expect? (Perhaps udev is renaming the device?)