Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:46:25 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        "David E. Meier" <dev@eth0.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to create the partition. Too big?

--LvAn5G4Ewe70kJ1i

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 10:28:26PM +0100, David E. Meier wrote:
> Hi folks,
>=20
> I am trying to custom partition my 73GB SCSI hard drive using 5.3. When I
> first create the partions using the Auto Default option I get the
> following table:
>=20
> amrd0s1a  /        256MB  UFS2   Y
> amrd0s1b  swap    2022MB  SWAP
> amrd0s1d  /tmp     256MB  UFS2+S Y
> amrd0s1e  /var     256MB  UFS2+S Y
> amrd0s1g  /usr   67085MB  UFS2+S Y
>=20
> OK, so far so good but I want bigger /, /tmp and /var partitions. So I
> deleted them and recreated them to the following:
>=20
> amrd0s1b  swap    2022MB  SWAP
> amrd0s1a  /        512MB  UFS2   Y
> amrd0s1d  /tmp     512MB  UFS2+S Y
> amrd0s1e  /var    1024MB  UFS2+S Y
>=20
> Now, I just cannot create the /usr partition. If fails with: "Unable to
> create the partition. Too big?" Although the top line tells me there is
> 65805MB left which is less than the auto created partition...
>=20
> Bug or am I missing here something? Thanks. Dave

This isn't an answer to your question, but I have witnessed this
behvior in the past, probably as far back 4.8.  The only way I was ever
able to get around it was to manually partition the whole thing.
Modifying the auto-created partitions never seemed to work, and I got
the same errors as you.  Fortunately, it's fairly easy to designate 5 or
6 partitions manually.  I don't know, but I would suspect that this is
some type of bug or limitation in the program.  I hope somebody else has
a better answer.

Nathan
--=20
PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=3Dget&search=3D0xD8527E49

--LvAn5G4Ewe70kJ1i

--LvAn5G4Ewe70kJ1i--