Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:23:54 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Ilya <maillist@krel.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dump appending

Ilya (maillist@krel.org) wrote:

> Hi. How does dump deal this several comamnds like this:
> dump -0 -a -n -u /var
>  dump -0 -a -n -u /usr
>  dump -0 -a -n -u /
>
> does it append the dumps to one another, or does it overwrite them, so only
> the last one is available?
> how do I make sure it actually appends?

You will want to specify the appropriate device with the -f flag.

For example, if you are using a SCSI tape drive, you should have
several devices which refer to your tape drive:

   /dev/sa0    rewinds on close
   /dev/nsa0   doesn't rewind on close
   /dev/esa0   ejects on close
   /dev/ersa0  rewinds and ejects on close
      ...etc...

Obviously, you can control whether you append or overwrite the tape by
choosing the appropriate device. My backup scripts always write to the
non-rewinding device, except for the last backup set where I write to
/dev/ersa0, which rewinds and ejects the tape.

Here are some relevant manpages:

sa(4)                    - SCSI tape driver
wst(4)                   - ATAPI Tape drive

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com