Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 96 19:04:12 EST
From:      jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem with netconfig files

Hello,

I am having problems with the netconfiguration of my system.  When I boot,
I am told that katya.jnsm.com is unreachable.  I have no full-time
connection to the internet.  I only have a PPP account with an ISP
that allocates me a dynamic IP address.  When I finger user names

user@localhost,

everything is fine.  When I finger at katya (the name I decided to give
my lone machine on my selfpointing network)

user@katya,

the connection hangs.  The following are my /etc/host.conf, /etc/hosts/
and the Netconfig portions of my /etc/sysconfig files.  I was hoping
if somebody could tell me if they are approprite for my trivial (single
machine) network.  I would like to be able to use sendmail and my PPP
(dynamically assigned IP address) account.  Even if only localhost
can exist and not katya, this is fine.

Thank You,

J. Metcalf

#
# This is my /etc/host.conf
#
# $Id: host.conf,v 1.2 1993/11/07 01:02:57 wollman Exp $
hosts
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis
#
#
#  This is my /etc/hosts
#
127.0.0.1		localhost
10.0.0.1		katya.jnsm.com	katya
#
#
#
# This is the Netconfig section of my /etc/sysconfig
#
#
#
######################### Start Of Netconfig Section #######################

# Set to the name of your host - this is pretty important!
hostname=katya.jnsm.com

# Set to the NIS domainname of your host, or NO if none
defaultdomainname=NO

#
# Some broken implementations can't handle the RFC 1323 and RFC 1644
# TCP options.  If TCP connections randomly hang, try disabling this,
# and bug the vendor of the losing equipment.
#
tcp_extensions=YES

#
# Set to the list of network devices on this host.  You must have an
# ifconfig_${network_interface} line for each interface listed here.
# for example:
#
#	network_interfaces="ed0 sl0 lo0"
#	ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
#	ifconfig_sl0="inet 10.0.1.0 netmask 0xffffff00"
#
network_interfaces="lo0 tun0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
ifconfig_tun0="inet katya.jnsm.com 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xffffff80"

#
# Set to the list of route add lines for this host.  You must have a
# route_${static_routes} line for each static route listed here.
#
static_routes="multicast loopback"
route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface ${hostname}"
route_loopback="${hostname} localhost"

# Set to the host you'd like set as your default router, or NO for none.
defaultrouter=NO

# These are the flags you'd like to start the routing daemon with
routedflags="-s"

# timed flags, or NO if you don't want to start the time daemon
timedflags=NO

# xntpd flags, or NO if you don't want to start the xntpd daemon
xntpdflags="NO"

# this is inoperative unless xntpd is enabled; NO to disable
tickadjflags="-Aq"

# Set to the site you'd like to syncronize your clock from (gatekeeper.dec.com,
# for example) or NO for no such site.
ntpdate="NO"

# Set to YES if you want to run rwhod
rwhod=NO

# Default sendmail flags.  -bd is pretty mandatory, -q<n>m sets the queue scan
# time in minutes.  If set to NO, don't start sendmail at all.
sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"

# Set to appropriate flags if you want to use AMD
amdflags="NO"

# Set to YES if this machine will be an NFS client
nfs_client=NO

# Set to YES if this machine will be an NFS server
nfs_server=NO

# Set to appropriate flags if you want to start NIS for a client
nis_clientflags="NO"

# Set to host to ypset to if you need to do that
nis_ypsetflags="NO"

# Set to appropriate flags if you want to start NIS for a server
nis_serverflags="NO"

# Set to appropriate flags for yppasswdd, if you wish to run it.
# Typical flags might be "-m /var/yp/master.passwd -s -f"
yppasswddflags="NO"

# Set to appropriate flags for named, if you have a full-time
# connection to the Internet.
# For most hosts, flags should be "-b /etc/namedb/named.boot"
namedflags="NO"

# Set to YES if you run PC-NFSD (see /usr/ports/net/pcnfsd) for
# sharing filesystems with DOS/Windows PCs.
pcnfsd=NO

# Set to YES if you have the Apache WEB server (see /usr/ports/net/apache)
# installed and want to run it at system startup time (this is better than
# running it from inetd if you're running a dedicated WWW server).
apache_httpd=NO

# Set to YES if you want to run the X-10 power controller daemon
xtend=NO

# Set to the name of the device for kernel crashdumps, or `off' to
# disable any statically configured dumpdev, or NO for no change.
# The device should normally be one of the swap devices specified
# in /etc/fstab.
dumpdev=NO

# Set to YES if you want kernel crashdumps to be saved for debugging
savecore=NO

# Set to YES if you want to run Kerberos authentication
kerberos_server=NO

# If you want this host to be a gateway, set to YES.
gateway=NO

# Set to YES if you want to run gated
gated=NO

# Set to YES if you wish to check quotas.  NOTE:  For now this probably
# doesn't work and should be left disabled.
check_quotas=NO

# Set to YES to turn on accounting.  NOTE: For now this probably
# doesn't work and should be left disabled.
accounting=NO