Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 23:43:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        chris@netmonger.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware

Mike Smith said:

> I'll stop here.  You do that.  Then we can talk.  Until then, for
> crying out loud, consider listening to people that _have_.  If you
> don't trust me, try Soren (who has one of the faster worldbuilders
> running on IDE disks), or John Dyson (who had six IDE disks in a system
> at one stage, running ~10MB/sec sustained), or John Hood (who did the
> DMA work).

I do think that it is best to stay un-religious.  A good rule of thumb
would likely include that a typical IDE config tends to be lower end than
a SCSI config.  It is also likely that a SCSI system will be higher performance
than an IDE system.  The criteria for (adequate) performance is continually
getting higher, and for my typical single user, overloaded, workstation use,
IDE is adequate.  I wouldn't dream of putting IDE in a middle or high
end server though.  I have a certain attitude about all of this PC hardware,
and that is it is all throw-away -- the less you spend on hardware that
works for you, the better off that you are...  The only winchester disk
devices that I consider to be not-throw away are the high-end SCSI's.  I
just don't need the perf of a 10K or a high-end 7.2K drive.  I am mostly
CPU-bound with my workload on my mostly-IDE workstation with 2 PPro's.  Specify
a database, news or medium to large server app, or a system that needs
to be a little more reliable or needs more space/speed than an IDE based
solution, then SCSI is the best way to go.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org