Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2017 01:13:42 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ldd linker script /usr/lib/libc.so fail

Hi

the linker script /usr/lib/libc.so fails when you are using the
--sysroot options because it

contains absolute paths.

Does anyone know if there is a way to add the sysroot to the script?

currently teh on ein our sysroot looks like:

$ cat /usr/build/buildroot/tools/x86_FBSD1X_gcc4.2.4/usr/lib/libc.so
/* $FreeBSD$ */
GROUP ( /lib/libc.so.7 /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a
/usr/lib/libssp_nonshared.a )

but I'd like to do something like:

GROUP ( ${sysroot}/lib/libc.so.7 ${sysroot}/usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a
${sysroot}/usr/lib/libssp_nonshared.a )

but don't think I can do that

from what I see below however it shouldn't be needed.

Is this a bug in our version of ld? or am I misreading it?

I quote from one such source :

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/4/html/Using_ld_the_GNU_Linker/simple-commands.html

INPUT(file, file, …), INPUT(file file …)

    The INPUT command directs the linker to include the named files in
    the link, as though they were named on the command line.

    For example, if you always want to include subr.o any time you do
    a link, but you can't be bothered to put it on every link command
    line, then you can put INPUT (subr.o) in your linker script.

    In fact, if you like, you can list all of your input files in the
    linker script, and then invoke the linker with nothing but a -T
    option.

    In case a /sysroot prefix/ is configured, and the filename starts
    with the / character, and the script being processed was located
    inside the /sysroot prefix/, the filename will be looked for in
    the /sysroot prefix/. Otherwise, the linker will try to open the
    file in the current directory. If it is not found, the linker will
    search through the archive library search path. See the
    description of -L in Section 3.1 /Command Line Options/
    <https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/4/html/Using_ld_the_GNU_Linker/invocation.html#OPTIONS>.

    If you use INPUT (-lfile), ld will transform the name to
    libfile.a, as with the command line argument -l.

    When you use the INPUT command in an implicit linker script, the
    files will be included in the link at the point at which the
    linker script file is included. This can affect archive searching.

GROUP(file, file, …), GROUP(file file …)

    The GROUP command is like INPUT, except that the named files
    should all be archives, and they are searched repeatedly until no
    new undefined references are created.